Old April 28th 16, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

Default FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

Completing a wings program for flight review credit allows you to act as PIC in aircraft you are rated.

"Pilots with multiple ratings select the category and class of aircraft in which they wish to recieve training and demonstrate their flight proficiency."
AC 61-91J para 5.c.3

Completing a Wings Program in lieu of a flight review allows you to act as PIC in aircraft you are rated. It completed eliminates any flight review requirement. The Wings Program resets the flight review date when the Wings Phase is completed.

I don't know Bill. I read that AC 61-91J paragraph too but I cannot see that it says I have to have any specific rating to select. It says "in which they wish" no "in which they are rated".

I just now signed up to FAASafety.gov for the first time. In my profile it noted my Private ASEL, but not my Commercial Glider nor Flight Instructor.

So I changed my profile to Private ASES (Seaplane) which I do not have. It then presented me with modules to complete including 3 flight modules for Seaplane. At least, before starting, the Wings Program is not preventing me from completing the Basic Wings Phase at this point. In a Seaplane. For which I am not rated.

So, after I (hypothetically) complete these, when, where and by whom am I stopped from getting credit for completing a Basic Wings Phase in the Seaplane (and by definition, become Flight Review current)?