Old May 25th 05, 03:43 PM

Actually, as a CFI I think it is unsafe to *not* practice stalls on
your own. If you understand what is happening during a stall, and have
been taught by an instructor who wasn't afraid of them (some are), then
there is absolutely nothing dangerous about doing them.

I've flown with private pilots who clearly have not practiced basic
maneuvers since their last BFR, if then. They are scared of stalls,
'slow flight' to them is 1.8 Vs0, a 'steep turn' is 20 degrees of bank.

To maintain my personal proficiency, I try to go up by myself at least
once a month, and just do 90 minutes of 'basics'. I advise my students
and BFR rides to do the same. Slow flight in particular is very useful
in increasing your 'feel' for the airplane. Go up, do some approach and
departure (power-off and power-on respectively) stalls. Do some steep
turns, and don't let yourself off the hook until everything you do is
at *least* PTS standard.

The only reason people avoid practicing stalls is because they fear
them. If you are properly trained, and perform them at a 'safe'
altitude above the ground, there is *nothing* to be fearful of. If you
fear stalls, then you need to have some work with a CFI whjo doesn't,
and who understands them and can teach them to you. You can see how
scaed many people are of stalls by watching your local pilots land; I
can't tell you how many pilots I see add an extra 10 knots down the
pipe 'just to be safe'. Works fine with a 172 on 5000 foot runway; but
it really isn't good airmanship.

Practicing the basics (including stalls) is a very good way to improve
one's skills. I can't advise strongly enough that it is a *very* good
idea to devote some time every month (depending on how often you fly)
to just going out and doing the stuff you did in your first 10 lessons
as a student.

Cheers,

Chris