Old September 14th 10, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ray conlon

Default Schweizer 1-34 Pilot Weight capability

On Sep 12, 9:03*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:53*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Sep 11, 7:52*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Sep 11, 4:27*pm, RN wrote:

Our club is considering an SGS 1-34 as an addition to the fleet and is
interested in the max pilot weight capability. It looks like the
handbook numbers are quite high, but we would appreciate any real
world inputs from 1-34 pilots or owners.

Ultimately, it depends on how much paint it has. *I know of one
chapter that removed the paint and polished the aluminum to gain back
something approaching 30 lbs. *But I don't know what the total payload
became. *That 1-34 also had O2. *Maybe a member will chime in.

http://www.soarboulder.org/equipment/48-schweizer-i-34

Just spoke with Bob Whelan about this 1-34. *Some number were built
with filler and fabric over the metal to provide better laminar flow
as was this one. *Over 30 lbs was regained by removing all but the
metal.

Frank Whiteley

Our club had one some years ago, great ship, rugged,roomy and at 6-3/
245# I had no problem with it. The dive brakes are fantastic, point it
striaght down, haul out the boards and forget about exceeding red line
concerns.
Would love to have another one. A close 2nd are the Platius B4's...