Old January 5th 11, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

Default poor lateral control on a slow tow?

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:40:53 -0000, "Doug"
wrote:

Is poor handling at low speed on tow a common experience? I'd appreciate
any thoughts/comments/war stories ... particularly bad tug/glider/speed
combinations, incidents of wing drop during a tow etc etc?

Yes, it is common. I use to fly mainly at competitions, and among the
5-10 tow pilots, there's always at least one who, despite being
briefed by the towmaster, flies too slowly.

In my personal experience, it happened to me 3 times in a double
seater (Janus B and DuoDiscus). I don't remember any occurrence in my
single seater.
I can describe it as being unable to raise the nose. As the towplane
was flying below 100 km/h, I just couldn't match the climbing rate
with the glider, so I was more and more into the propwash. A gentle
pull up wouldn't work; pulling more hits the stop and the glider feels
like it's sinking.

I also cannot find an easy and believable explanation for this
phenomenon. I didn't recognize a lack of _lateral_ control, anyway.

aldo cernezzi