Old June 26th 18, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Discus 2 Optimal CG location

At 23:01 25 June 2018, Dave Springford wrote:
Thanks Bif, That is what I am looking for. My club just bought a 2b

and
I'm trying to sort out the weight and balance for it.

Placing a spare battery in the in the tail battery compartment (or
not) seems like something that might work for a club operation.
Lighter pilots fly with no tail battery, while heavier pilots fly with it
installed. (You will have to run the numbers for your specific bird,
as I have no idea what your empty weight is, whether it's had tail
boom repairs, or even if the original owner opted to order it with
a tail battery compartment installed, etc.)

When I first bought my D-2b, that's what Tilo told me to do, and
he suggested that I'd be pretty close to where I wanted to be with
a seat load of ~210#, plus tail battery installed. (I had asked him
to set it up specifically just for me W&B wise before delivery.)

It's a club. There will have to be compromises.

Not numerically detailed like Bif's answer, but it will be hard to nail
down his numbers if there are multiple pilots of different weights
that are going to fly it in a club environment.

RO