Old September 1st 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jettester

Default Many transponders in close proximity

oups.com...
#1. Transponders would not solve the mid air problem unless you were
the only one in close proximity to the attacking aircraft. Typically,

TCAS can't factor multiple threats?!? Even the lowly Zaon MRX can.

they set MTI (moving target indicator) to above 60K or higher
(especially if near a large amount of highway ground traffic), so once
you start thermalling they lose you unless you are given a discrete
squawk other than 1200 (for non participating VFR Traffic)

TCAS filtering out "highway ground traffic" ...squawking 1200?

The biggest benefit of transponder is not that people on the ground will see
you -- after all, they are not the ones that are going to hit you. My
transponder is on not as much for the ATC, but for the TCAS/TPAS flying out
there.
--
Yuliy

This is why I love these websites....
The Zaeon MRX Unit is intriguing for several reasons...
1. Its relatively cheap $500
2. It uses 2 self contained batteries (from 5.8 to 7 hrs duration)
3. The ATC radar interogates the other aircraft and the MRX just
listens to the replies
4. You don't have to have a transponder or Mode C
5. Its small and lightweight
6. It gives relative altitude from your altitude (built in digital
altimeter)
7. I don't mess ATC up if I'm not talking or participating with
them.

Draw backs are... it still only helps with finding other aircraft with
transponders and mode C.

I'm glad to hear that at places like Minden and Arizona you guys are
using a discrete code with ATC's blessing. It still would mean you are
talking with the ATC controllers on their freq.
.... Incidentally, we (USAF) did tests with fibreglas gliders to see if
we could "see" them with ATC radars.. you typically could not unless
they increased their power above the rated power they were authorized
at the time... yet, if we put wadded up tin foil (Reynolds Aluminum
wrap) in the wings, they showed up like gang busters.

Jettester (UP)