Old March 16th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

Default motorgliders as towplanes

Agree with Ian,

I thought we agreed that the force of the tow rope acts at whatever angle
the rope meets the glider. This means it is a factor the RELATIVE
position of the glider to the towplane, NOT the direction of flight.

That being said, I once was at an airshow where Oscar Bosch was towed by
the famous plane called "Sampson". Sampson held all kinds of "time to
climb" records.

Old Oscar never really caught up with Sampson, and was in the lowest low
tow I think I have ever seen. There was plenty of up thrust on that tow
rope!

Cookie

At 15:29 16 March 2009, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 16 Mar, 13:28, " wrote:
On Mar 14, 8:43=A0am, The Real Doctor wrote:

Bad example, since tow planes pull - give or take a wee bit -
horizontally, regardless of climb angle.

Never been towed behind an Ag-cat, have you?

265 horse Pawnee count?

Nothing horizontal about that evolution!

Tug wheels on the horizon, glider just above the prop wash, just like
everything else.

Ian