Old January 6th 04, 03:24 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Kyler Laird wrote:

Roy Smith writes:

I don't consider looking in my trunk to be a major imposition.

But you still haven't said what you would have them do if they found
something reasonable and legal such as tools and firearms in there.

--kyler

Nobody ever asked me that, they only asked me what I expected would
happen :-)

I assume for the sake of argument that we're talking about some kind of
firearm which is legal for me to have without a permit, say a rifle or
shotgun such as might be used for hunting or target shooting? I suspect
you think the appropriate response would be for the conversation to go
something like this:

"Sir, may I ask why you have a shotgun in the trunk?"

"I'm taking it with me on a hunting trip"

"Very good, Sir. You may proceed, have a good afternoon, Sir."

In the current state of alert, at an airport with scheduled airline
traffic and heavy metal sitting out on the GA ramp that I can walk right
up to, that's a fantasy. You might as well expect the guard to say,
"These are not the droids we're looking for".

I understand that it's legal for me to have a shotgun in my trunk. And
that it's legal for me to do so without a permit or license. And that
the second ammendment to the US Constitution guarantees me the right.
And that's it's legal for me to own an airplane, and to park that
airplane at HPN, and to use that airplane to transport myself and my
shotgun anywhere I please without asking permission or filing a flight
plan or anything. And it's wonderful that both of us have those rights.

But, it sure does make me feel a little bit safer knowing that if
somebody tries to steal a 737 from the ramp at HPN so they can dive-bomb
it into the Indian Point nuclear power plant all of about 5 minutes from
the end of the runway (or the Kensico Dam, about 1 minute away), there's
a guy with an M-16 out there on the access road asking questions.

Mostly it's showing the flag. If you want to catch criminals, you hide
in the bushes with a camera and keep silent. If you want to scare them
away, you stand in the middle of the road waving an M-16 around and
making a big show of being there.

Ok, I answered your question, now you get to answer mine. If you're so
worked up about them asking to look in my trunk, how do you feel about
people being kept in prisons with no due process and no access to legal
representation? It seems like that's the kind of thing we should be
worked up about. But maybe they're not the kind of people we get worked
up about?