Old November 2nd 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default ASH 26E VS DG 808C

wrote:
One of my original questions was since both these designs are over 12
years old (normal life span for a design) what changes would you like
to see in future designs? And when do you expect a new self launch
motor glider design to come on the market?

Since the manufacturers haven't seen fit to include me in their plans, I
can speak with the confidence brought by a near total lack of knowledge
of future products. We already have good choices for IC (internal
combustion) engine powered gliders, and fairly good choices for electric
motor powered gliders. The only change in the slow evolution of
motorgliders that I see is the use of a jet engine. So, call up each
dealer/factory in turn, and ask "when can I buy a jet powered
self-launcher"? They might tell you, or at least hint a bit.

If you want to extend your range of choices in IC powered gliders, call
up Windward Performance and ask them when their self-launching
SparrowHawk will be available. They delivered one to Mississippi
University for the UAV program, and now plan to build another, with a
purpose unknown to me.

Until we have a powerplant with a much better (power+duration)/weight
ratio, I just don't think we'll see much difference in what we have now.
It's what limits the wing loading range at both ends: the high end by
the need to carry so much weight in the fuselage; the low end by the
need to carry so much weight.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org