Old August 3rd 15, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Does FLARM meet TABS requirement?

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 10:50:41 AM UTC-5, Mark Palmer wrote:
Hey all,

I'm in the process of writing my response to the FAA's ANPRM on transponders in gliders. One of the items covered in the document is TABS (Traffic Awareness Beacon System) under TSO-C199. Does FLARM come under this TSO?

I hadn't heard of TABS before reading the ANPRM, and while it talks of low cost avoidance systems it doesn't give any examples.

Thanks.

Mark Palmer
Greenwood Village, CO

Hi Mark,
Unfortunately, no. FLARM would not be an approved TABS device. And I hadn't heard anything of TABS before this ANPRM, either.
Steve Leonard