Old March 25th 20, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default The Decline of Soaring Awards

On 3/25/2020 8:22 AM, Daniel Sazhin wrote:
The Five Hour in many ways is actually the biggest accomplishment of the
Silver Badge. That's the tough nut to crack and it takes a lot of effort
and perseverance to get it.

Bulk of good post snipped to save electrons in this time of global crisis...)

My club requires a 5 hour endurance before
taking our club ships cross country and it works very well as a training
milestone. I think it's a great experience and a great goal for advancing
gliderpilots to aim at.

All the best, Daniel

Consulting the Way Back When Machine, my first - and only - intentional,
semi-planned, Big Sit died with the day at around 4 hrs 45 minutes in my
club's 1-26. The good news was it was about 4 hours longer than I'd guessed
was likely before I took the tow, the bad news...well, use your imaginations!

So not long thereafter, licensed, proud 1/3 owner of my instructor's kit-built
1-26 with another of his recently-former students, there we wuz in eastern
Ohio flying in a Labor Day fun contest. 1st Day - my straw won, I finished an
~30-mile task (ridiculously high) after only ~3 hours (12mph IIRC!), whupping
the reigning World Champeen 1-26 pilot (Ted Teach - he landed out, along with
about 1/3 of the field), and I had an in-flight brainstorm. I radioed my
instructor (surely an instructor would have chops with the contest big wigs,
no?) to see if it would be OK for me, instead of landing immediately, to
remain aloft to bag my 5 hours (that's how high I finished!). It was. I did.

Point being, circumstances depending, it doesn't HAVE to be 'a Big Sit.'

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com