Old August 28th 04, 05:05 AM
The Weiss Family

Personally, I'd buy an IFR-certified plane, with the eventual intent of
getting the instrument rating. I've done that twice, now, although I
still haven't finished up the instrument rating. I have done a fair

amount
of instrument training in both planes, however -- something that would not
be possible if it were a VFR-only plane.

With an IFR platform to fly it's nice to know that I COULD get down

through
the clouds, if needed. It wouldn't be legal, but at least it would
possible.

I'm looking to buy in the spring 2005 time frame.
My intention is to find a decent IFR plane.
Probably a cherokee (right now, I'm shooting for a 180, but we'll see).
I'm not sure when I'll do my IFR training.
In the mean time, I can have the radios (which aren't really all that much)
in the plane, as Jay mentioned.
But, I don't think I'll have to keep it IFR certified until I'm ready to
begin my training...

The other thing I've seen advertised often is "IFR ready" aircraft.
Which I interpret to mean "has radios, not certified".
Maybe this route may be of interest.

Adam