Old September 12th 03, 04:49 PM
Maule Driver

I use a Ray-o-vac head light for my night flying. It has become my primary
light despite some gooseneck lamps (red & white) that I have mounted.

The Rayvac has an elastic strap around the head and across the top. Seems
like it might be obtrusive. Just the opposite - I can slip my headset or
hat or whatever over it as needed. It has double red LEDs, a single 'warm
white' LED with a good size reflector, and a single "blue-white" LED that is
very bright to the eye. I find myself setting the switch between the red
and the warm white. It's gotten to the point where I don't trust my vision
with reds and I rely on the warm white for map work. The bright one is
great for walk arounds.

Only problem is making sure I take it off after landing. I look like a
Trekkie with one of those things on.

One secret to successful night lighting is to have backup lights and backups
for your backups. And batteries for all. No bulbs though. I keep a
selection of batteries (ANR, flashlights, Palmtop) in a hard glass case. .
Easy to find by feel, secure closure, etc.

"David Gunter" wrote in message
I was at Target the other day and spotted a nifty new head-mounted
flashlight that seems like it'll be perfect for night flights. It has
two very bright white LEDs and one sort-of-bright red LED. The switch
allows for toggling between the two. It's powered by 3 AAA batteries
with a claim of 50 hours total time. The casing will tilt up to 90
degrees for better aiming.

I am starting night flight training in a couple of weeks and will
evaluate this, but wanted to point it out in case anyone else is using
this or is looking for something similar. The cost was $12 and included
the 3 batteries.

Energizer "LED Essentials" is the name, and I've found a pretty thorough
review of it he
http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.n...essentials.htm

Cheers,
david
SAF
--
Replace spam with david in the email address if you want to send email
to me personally.