Old November 16th 04, 03:07 AM
Nathan Young

On 15 Nov 2004 15:29:15 -0800, (JustMe) wrote:

At the school where I am learning, the instructor grades your
performance after each flight on a scale from 1 to 5. Where 1 is
deemed excellent and 5 is considered unsatisfactory. With 3 being
average. Reviewing my training records, I haven't scored greater than
a 3 since lesson number 13. From lesson 14 through lesson 33, I've
scored average to excellent.

Should I quit now? That is what I'm pondering. 47.7 hours and still no
solo.

First off, I'd say never quit. If you want to fly, keep working at
it, and eventually the landings will make sense. 47.7 is hardly any
time at in the grand scheme of things.

How long has it taken you (calendar-wise) to get the 47.7 hrs? I
think it is best to fly 3-4 times per week for about 1.5 hrs each go.
Kind of a balance between immersion and saturation.

As others pointed out - it seems your instructor may be asking too
much before letting you go solo. Has he/she taken the time to explain
why you haven't solo'd yet? You implied it was due to simulated
instrument time and crosswind technique, but has the instructor
clearly spelled that out? Is there a plan on the table for overcoming
the deficiencies?

This might be a good time for some self-reflection. Do you feel you
could handle the plane by yourself around the pattern? When you do
pattern work does the instructor have to take over the controls, or
are you doing the work by yourself? Even if the instructor is taking
over - it isn't that bad - as an instructor who is not willing to cut
you loose for solo after 47 hrs, is probably the type to steal the
controls from you on every landing.

If I were you, I would talk to the chief pilot at your FBO and explain
the situation. Ask if you might ride with him/her or another
instructor for an evaluation and suggestions on how to fix it. It
probably would be an even better idea to do this at a different FBO.
That way you would have multiple independent assessments of your
abilities.

-Nathan