Old January 10th 04, 08:09 AM
Judy Ruprecht

At 03:30 10 January 2004, Jim Culp wrote:
Questions regarding females and gliding:

1. Why do more females not fly gliders?
(Therein may be answer to why are there so few women
glider pilots.)

(And there followed a bunch of balderdash!)

Here, IMHO, is the reason there aren't more US women
in soaring: their parents/significant others/spouses/children/
friends are not apt to say...

'Oh yes, $75 - 100 per flight is a reasonable amount
to pay for the 20 to 30 flights you'll need to solo...
(and later on, 'Gee, a gently used ASW 20 with a Cobra
trailer really is a steal at under $30,000.')

'I'd love to crew for you.'

'I understand tomorrow's soaring forecast looks great,
so I'll (pick one: take the day off/hire a babysitter)
to take care of the kids for you.'

'I'd love to crew for you.'

'Hi, Toots. My name is Prince Charming, I have my own
hair and teeth, neither of which needs to be stashed
on a bedside table over night. I own an air conditioned
motorhome with a 1 7/8 ball and I know my way around
the root end of the wing during assembly of the aforementioned
ASW-20. I will never tell you to quit flying gliders
and I will thrill to the dulcet tone of your voice
every time you say, 'There I was at 500 feet...' '

'I'd love to crew for you.'

Any more questions?

Judy