Old June 19th 04, 03:52 AM
Eric Greenwell

Romeo Delta wrote:
Mr. Greenwell:

Please be advised that I just used the ammo provided by the previous
poster. Certainly you must agree that it's only human nature to turn
up the sales pitch just a notch when justifying the need for something
that you just so happen to sell

Yes, but it's just speculation on your part, as is my suggestion he
sells them BECAUSE he believes in them.

--hence, my voiced scepticism.

It is still an unnecessary insinuation: we should argue the facts of the
situation, not speculate about someone's motives.

I'm sure
KG is a big boy and can handle it. UH was unfortunately fragged by
association--a thousand pardons.

To say it another way, I, for one, am not otherwise convinced that
anyone who sells such "stuff" for a living preaches about it solely
out of the goodness of his heart (which was my take of the post
previous to my former). To place someone up on a pedistal for doing
so is professing naivity.

All irrelevant to the value of ELTs, true or not.

Regardless, the bottom line is an ELT, from an operational
perspective, is OPTIONAL equipment.

So is a parachute, but contests require them, and we wear them.

If some private airport owner
feels justified in his mind for whatever reason to require ELTs as a
condition to fly from his airfield--then that's his business (as well
the business of any pilots accepting of such dictation), except that
such nonsense is capable of permeating out to affect the soaring
community as a whole at which time it is past the point of becoming
everyone's business.

So pardon me if I voice my concern at this potential eventuality.
Soaring is expensive enough without some yea-hoo in VA starting a
costly trend on a whim.

Would you consider the situation in a different light if you knew the
"yea-hoo" has supported soaring in the most substantial way for decades,
by providing an airfield, towplanes, hangars, and clubhouses? Take a
look at this link:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/VA85
AirNav: New Castle International Airport

Does that look like a facility provided by a "yea-hoo"? It exists to
serve soaring!

My point: I can't believe a man like Lanier Frantz is doing this on a
whim. Whether we like the idea or not, it comes from someone who
deserves to be taken seriously.

What's the next mandate to enjoy the
SIMPLICITY of soaring? Transponders, weather radar, radar altimeters?

If this pilot makes the conscience choice to fly without an ELT, it is
done so at MY accepted peril. Matter of fact, every time I have ever
made the decision to takeoff [solo] it has always been and will
continue to be at MY own personal peril.

Of course, at a contest, you only have veto authority - you don't get to
pick just any time.

And I don't take lightly
anyone's attempt to usurp the experience, ability, and authority I
have to make such a decision.

They aren't exactly telling you how to fly your glider. The ELT is just
a lump that sits in the back and doesn't do anything until you crash.

I'm sorry that someone crashed while flying a contest (BTW having an
ELT apparently didn't stop that from happening). But should that
necessarily result in mandating we all should now run out and buy ELTs
[as a condition to compete in a soaring contest]?

Keep some perspective: it's just for New Castle, not all contests.

Maybe we should
just not task flying near mountains.

There are World champions that have argued that.

Heck, let's just stop flying
altogether 'cause it's inherently dangerous. No thousand dollar piece
of equipment can change that fact.

And none of the folks involved have claimed it will, but they'd sure
like to mitigate the results when the "experience, ability, and
authority" of the pilot aren't equal to the danger.

Did I mention ELTs are only $200-$300?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA