Old March 2nd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Nimbus 2c wing templates

"Robert Hart" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
Hello from a fellow N2C owner. So far, my wings look pretty good.

Hi!

The FX-67-170 inner wing and FX-67-150 outer wing airfoil coordinates
available at the NASG airfoil database in a .DAT format. See:
http://www.nasg.com/afdb/list-airfoil-e.phtml

There are a number of PC airfoil plotting programs that can plot the
airfoil from the .DAT file format at the desired chord and save the shape
as a .DXF file. Many laser cutting shops can cut that shape in the
material of your choice from the .DXF file. I just had a set of airfoil
templates made for winglets out of plexiglass. The cost was trivial.

Tks for the info.

Can you point me at a suitable PC aerofoil plotting program?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am very new at this, but I have a few
more questions.

First of all, how do I accurately scale the plots out along the wing?

It has been suggested to me that we get the first template cut for a
position 300mm from the wing root and then at 1m points out along the
wing.

We'll presumably have to have a template for the end of the inner section
and another for the start of the outer section, given the change in
profile.

I am kind of hoping that there are people here who have done this before
and can provide some really good guidance.

I do not want to stuff this up!

Tks

Robert

I just used the airfoil plotting program I already had on my computer which
is Profili 2. (http://www.profili2.com/) It's intended for model airplanes
but it seems to do the job. Don't try to print the airfoils, they are too
big for any commonly available PC printer. Just save them in .DXF format

And thaks to the poster that pointed out the errors in the NASG FX-67-170
coordinates. These are clear from the Profili plot. Dick Johnsons
coordinates look much better.

BTW, laser cut templates are beautiful and I'm thinking of making some wall
hangings of significant sailplane airfoils just for the asthetics. I'm
thinking that the templates could be cut from blue .125" Plexi and placed
over a sheet of white plext for the contrast. Pick you own colors.

Bill Daniels