Old September 20th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default sunlight readable iphone

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 11:49:11 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 00:29:57 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:

Well I do care about the UI. Doesn't sound like you have tried any of the more modern phones we are talking about. Most of the software offerings in soaring - no matter what the platform - do about the same things in feature set. It is UI and presentation that differentiates.

Screens are not getting noticeably brighter in latest phones, and reason is pretty simple, current brightness level is adequate and brighter screen requires huge amount of current and not so fashionable LCD screens. Only mass market use of sunlight readable screen might come from drone industry, but we have been waiting for mass market sunlight readable colour touchscreens for, what, 15 years now, so do not hold your breath.

Phone screens are getting brighter. In the last two generations they have gone from 500 to 1000 nits. The OLED screens are quite capable of 1000 nits, they are just not driven that bright out of concerns about battery life. In yachting navigation displays, very bright, sunlight readable screens have been available for a couple of decades now.