Old August 10th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default wing tape

At 17:59 10 August 2020, Tim Taylor wrote:
The best tape is the 3M 483, but the price has gotten so out of

hand that
i=
t is hard to justify. It will not sink in as much as the other tapes.
One=
option is to make some thin mylar covers that you tape over with

the
softe=
r tape. This will prevent the tape from sinking into the gap. =20

I still have a few rolls of 483 that use only when I can=E2=80=99t

use
some=
thing else. I have been researching alternatives and looking to

buy some
t=
o test.=20

3M white electrical tape is what I use for anything that

doesn=E2=80=99t
ne=
ed 483.

One of our club members was a master machinist and came up with
the idea to slice the 1" 483 tape into 1/2" rolls in order to double
the amount of uses one could get from an expensive roll of that
tape. Unfortunately, he passed away, but beforehand had cut me
about 15 rolls of it. It lasted me for years, but as I finally neared
the end of my supply, I Googled the 483 tape and looked for
equivalents from sources other than 3M. I found something similar,
but just a little stiffer, on a closeout in 2" x 60!! yard rolls which I
bought and had another club machinist slice into 4 x 1/2" - 60!!
yard rolls. Due to its length, one roll will go for a long time. I
probably have 20 or 30 rolls left, so if you want to try one, send me
an email. $10 + shipping. Pics at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/deSxU1mUj7XctTXY7

RO