Old January 25th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pre-launch checklists

In my part of Canada we use:
Controls
Instruments
Straps
Trim & ballast
Release
Spoilers/Flaps
Canopy
In my view, the importance of the actual sequence of
cockpit checks is frequently overlooked. For example,
during my first few flights in my LS 6b I could not
understand why I was ballooning on take off. The reason
was simple - my last action item after 'Options' was
to confirm (one more time) that my dive brakes were
closed and locked. In other words, I always did a second/disaster
check of my dive brakes.
I failed to realize that activating your dive brakes
on the LS 6, also moves the flaps into the landing
setting. So I was taking off with full landing flaps.

(Incidentially, I cannot find anything in the flight
manual identifying this feature.)
Last season, we had a release failure (broken cable)
in the front cockpit of a Blanik and the Instructor
was unable to release because he had tightened his
straps after doing the release check. Fortunately he
was able to slacken his belts before a serious problem
occured.
Hope this helps. JB