Old July 17th 04, 04:05 AM
C J Campbell

"Dude" wrote in message
Lucky Dog.

How was the fit and finish of the plane?

It looked good to me. I didn't see any flaws in it at all. I thought the
exhaust pipe was a little ugly.

What kind of load was left with all that Garmin Stuff?

The Garmin stuff is supposed to be lighter than standard instruments, but
there were a lot of other options on this plane besides the Garmin stuff.
Diamond claims about 650 lbs payload with full fuel. The tanks are 41
gallons, so allow for 240 lbs useable fuel, which would give you a total
load of about 890 lbs. IOW, it is about like a 172. This airplane had the
extended baggage area and the new baggage area weight allowance. Older
DA-40s are limited to 60 lbs in the baggage area. This one allows 140 lbs in
the main baggage area and 50 lbs in the extended area.

Did you get the standard Diamond crashworthiness pitch? Do you believe

it?

Yes, but I don't know whether to believe it. The cockpit cage certainly
looks strong enough. I suppose the NTSB site would be worth investigating.