Old July 30th 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

On 7/30/2020 7:55 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 7/30/20 3:38 AM, krasw wrote:
We have a couple of water landings per decade. Nobody was ever killed or
hurt, but from our statistics it can be quite expensive. One glider had
leading edge of wing split open, flaps can be damaged, especially proper
landing flaps. Canopy is often cracked. Wet instruments are dead
instantly, or latest in few years.

Schempp policy for water landing is that all pushrods get changed in the
gliders, they cannot risk corrosion and resulting ADs 10-20 years later.
I once asked factory guy how much this is, answer was that around 20k
euros (lots of holes in wings).

Doubt there was much left of this glider after it was washed up on the
rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaTE4zT-8Is&t=55s

Cowabunga! An accident report done by someone knowledgeable of aviation
uninfected with the "headline virus." Watching this was a (pleasant) first in
my experience with "these sorts of events." Kudos to the reporter and
rescue-assisting pilot. "Well done!" all around.

Oh yeah. Sounds as if two glider pilots were Seriously Fortunate given (as i
infer) "the usual self-inflicted" circumstances. Can't help but wonder who
bore the salvage expenses...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com