Old January 28th 04, 02:58 PM
Dave Butler

Ross Oliver wrote:
wrote:

The most critical (and perhaps
counter-intuitive) thing to remember is that the mixture needs to be in full
LEAN (i.e. cutoff) position while cranking. You need to keep your right
hand on the mixture while you turn the key with your left hand so that you
can quickly move the mixture to full rich as soon as the engine begins to
fire.

Over the years, a lot of people have recommended this procedure (mostly
CFIs), but no one has explained to my satisfaction WHY this would work.
Why are you leaning the mixture at exactly the time an extra-rich
mixture is needed? After all, that is why we prime and crank with the
throttle mostly closed. I have come to believe it is one of those old
wives tails that CFIs propagate to make it appear to students that they
are "fixing" a bad start.

Well, (1) it's what my POH says to do, and (2) it seems to work.

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Dave