Old October 5th 03, 12:13 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Ditching Gear Down
From: "George Z. Bush" am
Date: 10/4/03 8:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time
Dave Kearton wrote:
"Mike Keown" wrote in message
Question: You are forced to ditch in a a/c
with fixed landing gear. The sea is calm and
search and rescue are aware of your situation
and location. How do you put 'her' down?
Mike

Verrry carefully. (^-^))) Since the sea is calm, there likely wouldn't be
any
wind to speak of, so looking for swells and troughs wouldn't be a problem.
Just
maintain airspeed high enough to maintain control and try to three point her
in.

George Z.
(former ARS pilot)

If you have a Mae West bail out then there is no chance of your getting trapped
in a sinking plane. Remember to whack the quick chute release when hitting the
water then pull the air bottle releases to inflate the Mae West keeping
your eye out for Air-Sea rescue all the while. If you have no Mae West get you
boots off and dump your .45 so they don't pull you down.. Send me a postcard if
you make it. I'll be in the officers club wondering how you made out.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer