Old August 12th 04, 02:25 PM
John Gaquin

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

....a very quick,
through, competent, intelligent individual... [who] manages his own

[__________]

Your descriptive above exactly applies to the type of accomplished
professionals in other fields (such as physicians, or programmers) who may
well think themselves smarter than the aviation system. However, your fine
personal commendation would outweigh what may be my misinterpretation of the
simple printed word. If I have done so I apologize to Mr. Cumminsky.

Perhaps the root of the confusion stems from the two disparate
meanings for the same term 'Final' under IFR and VFR.

I'm not sure. IFR and VFR are two different worlds, and ought not be that
easily confused. The IFR discuss and define 'approach segments', etc.,
while the VFR do not, as I recall. Perhaps back one step further, I think
to the tome that used to be referred to as the 'TERPS manual'; to the
standard that allows an established instrument approach to be defined as
'straight-in' if aligned within 30 degrees of the runway. You could be on a
final approach segment under IFR while off centerline by 25 degrees, but
that definition would not carry over to "being on final approach" under VFR.