Old February 13th 04, 12:43 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Paul wrote:
"The concept of a World Class is excellent. We just
need to switch these Polish flashes of brilliance for
a proper glider."

As there is no shortage of LS 4s, Discus, DG 300s all you would need to do
is name the World class glider of choice. ( if you have the nerve :-). The
Discus is already made in the " Eastern Block " As well as the DG 303 but
they sure don't come at a price that is going to assist the world class
buyer. Where ever they are made they will end up being pricey. There are
enough gliders now to do the "one Class thing ". We don't need a new design
or cheaper gliders. We need to get pilots to show at the contests with
whatever the glider is. What I was pointing out was not something lacking on
the PW 5 s part but on the whole package. Are the contests fun?
Do the owners/pilots of the PW 5s feel like going? Have they being invited?
Would it be any different if they all owned LS 4 s or 8s? Weather a factor?
Time of year?

Paul

One wonders if the Sparrowhawk would make it as a world class glider.
Certainly it has much in common with the PW-5 and Russia
(light weight, short wings, easy rigging, better polar but
close, fixed gear, no flaps).

The price would be a slight issue (perhaps in volume it
could go back below $20K). Also maybe that it would be
hard to duplicate elsewhere...

But a nice thought...