Old February 25th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Bad fuel gauges?

On 2008-02-24 17:29:14 -0800, Jay Maynard

On 2008-02-24, wrote:
No, I haven't just proclaimed that. Rather, I've explained in detail
why I think the gauges ARE useful, in a particular way, if they're
anything like the dozens of planes I've rented in various places. And
I've explained in detail why I think they're illegal otherwise, citing
specific regulations. (There may or may not be a "reality" that
illegal planes are common--but that doesn't change whether they're
illegal.) And CJ and I and others have given reasons that fuel gauges
are desirable for safety as well as legality.

You have not, however, explained why, since fuel gauge accuracy is
notoriously unreliable for good and sufficient reason, half the GA fleet or
more isn't grounded.

Your responses are all straight out of the book, with no grounding in the
real world.

I would have to see some actual evidence that half the GA fleet should
be grounded for inaccurate fuel gauges. In fact, I doubt if they are
nearly as inaccurate as you claim them to be. Blind belief in an
aviation legend is not real world experience.

Yes, I know fuel gauges can be inaccurate. But that does not mean that
they are always inaccurate, that they are totally unusable, or that
they only have to be accurate when they are empty. Assertions like that
are simply nonsense.

Airplane fuel gauges are generally accurate. Yes, they can be thrown
off by lack of maintenance, unusual attitudes, turbulence, and
malfunction. But those are the exceptions, not the rule. Flying with
malfunctioning fuel gauges can get your ticket pulled, whether you
think that is fair or not. Flying with a malfunctioning fuel gauge
simply because you think that is normal or that it is inaccurate anyway
is simply an excuse for poor piloting, poor maintenance, and general
laziness.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor