Old September 30th 05, 02:55 PM
Jmarc99

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jmarc99 wrote:
After having read all the posts in the previous thread, no one said a
word
about de right airspeed to keep along the final approach... whatever
this is done
with a sideslip or crabbing.

Beware of flying indicated airspeed during a slipping approach. The
pitot/static system on some giders will give large indicated airspeed
errors when slipping. As an extreme example my ASW-19 read zero
airspeed in a full rudder slip, probably due to the nose pot pitot.
You need to know your glider and fly the appropriate attitude rather
than the ASI.

Andy

Sure Andy. I am pretty well aware about the false reading of the
indicated airspeed. I stick to visually have the right angle with horizon
at all time in order to get a steady right speed during base and final.

It seams that everybody miss the right question in this thread.. What
is the right airspeed to decide to get, when the wind is NOT perfectly
alligned with the runway?

When you have 15 knots wind, with gusts at 20...

at 0 degree with the runway , you'll calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right ?
at 45 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right.. maybe ?
at 90 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, right.. no ?
at 135 degree ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, no.. right.. maybe ?
at 180 degree (wind right from the back) ... calculate 1.3 Vs + 15, always?

or 1.3 Vs + 20 knots at all times, whatever the wind direction with
the runway ? Or only 1.3 Vs when the wind will be at the back during
the final ?

The questtion is.. WHAT IS THE CALCULATED SPEED
do you wish to get during the base and final, according with
the wind angle with the runway. Do you take care the gusts speed
or not in your calculation ?

Is anyone can answer that simple question?

jmarc..