Old December 19th 11, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

Default question on VOR intersections

In article ,
On 2011-12-19, Skywise wrote:
First off, I'm a sim enthusiast. But I try to make my sim

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, is there a resource somewhere
that lists intersections and gives the VOR's and radials that
make them?

As a previous poster pointed out, you can find that information at airnav.com
(an excellent resource, btw), but that's not how real flying works.

In practice, you don't fly direct from waypoint to waypoint unless you
have a GPS, and even then you think twice before you do it.

Perhaps in some parts of the US. Here in the southeast, you can file
all the airways you want and the first controller that notices you
are slant-golf is going to say, "you are cleared direct XYZ."

The normal IFR flying procedure, especially in low-altitude aircraft,
is to follow the victor airways. These have been surveyed by the FAA to
confirm that as long as you stick to the MEA, you'll clear the terrain and
remain in radio reception range for both communciations and navigation.
If you make up your own routes by flying direct, then you're responsible
for making sure that you'll be in range and clear of terrain at all times.
Technically, this means looking up every radio facility you'll be using,
finding out what their effective range is, and so forth and so on.

I guess it depends how low you want to go. If I'm going from Raleigh to DC
at 7000 feet, there just isn't any terrain to worry about. As you get close
to the larger airports, you will get clearances to Victor airways and VORs
but south of DC, it's pretty open. The only radio issues are at low
altitudes or perhaps running off the coast.

--
Don Poitras