Old May 24th 04, 01:50 PM
Peter Hovorka

Hi tony,

I'm ignorate of the technology, but seem to remember the airlines went to
jets
because fuel costs were lower and they were lest costly to keep running.

.... and because passengers appreciated not to arrive in a three-engine
Connie after departing in a four engine a few hours ago. Enginge failures
were a main issue on that.

If they scaled down well, I expect we'd see them in hybred cars long
before they'd be in general aviation aircraft. You don't need rapid
response times in a hybred, but the 'spool-up' time in a small plane could
take a lot of getting used to by pilots who need lots of throttle
jockeying to land their airplanes.

I take that back -- it wouldn't take a lot of time, there'd be aluminum
junk that used to be airplanes near the approach end of lots of airports.

I don't think so. Spool up time on modern turbines is marginal compared with
early turboprop/jet engines. Compared with the workload a high power piston
is causing, every turbine would be much safer. I bet on that.

Regards,
Peter