Old February 21st 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Narrowing it down... Comanche?

"Margy" wrote in message
Jim Carter wrote:

Personally I'm partial to the Navion, I secretly believe that
you can disassemble a 172 and carry it as baggage in the passenger
compartment -- those things are huge. (But man that Meyers/Interceptor
400 is a sexy bird). Again however, it is not the plane for a pilot that
farms out all the maintenance and it is a bit of a classic so there
aren't that many (young) mechanics around that know them very well. On
the other hand, the American Navion Society has a good club and lots of
information. Kind of like the Cardinal Flyers, Cessna Pilots Assn,
American Bonanza Society, and on and on. If you're interested, stick
with something that's still fairly popular, and don't mind getting your
hands dirty, there's lots of help available -- just look at the

Blue skies...

There are quite a few Navion mechanics around and they aren't that
complicated, so once a mechanic who knows how to ask questions has worked
on a few for a bit they get fairly good at it. If you can find a Navion
with a new engine conversion (520 or 550) you have a really decent plane.

Margy

"Bit of a classic"... "[not] many mechanics around that know them very
well"...

Both items that make me tend to shy away. No doubt that they're good
planes--and, they sparked my interest, making me ask--but, again, as a
first-timer, I feel like staying "mainstream" is a way of controlling
variables (to a degree), hopefully making for a smoother experience.

Thanks for the thoughts--exactly what I was hoping for!

Doug
--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight