Old July 10th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

Default A question on Airbus landings

In article om,
wrote:

I assume that I didn't convey myself adequately because I wasn't asking
about what the aircraft use in detecting terrain.

My question was if in a low sink rate situation - possibly a flatter
profile during finals (a no-flaps situation) or you came in slower and
touched down gently at the initial section of the touchdown roll, does
FBW technology prevent reverser deployment until too late? When I first
read about it, it struck me as the exact opposite of a safety feature
(if at all it's that) because these are the situations when you'd need
reversers the most. I also similary wondered about brakes too, and
whether onboard computers can (or do) inhibit application in some
circumstances.

I think you are referring to an A320 accident that happened awhile back.

http://www.savive.com.au/casestudy/warsawa320.html and
http://sunnyday.mit.edu/accidents/warsaw-report.html have the details.

Basically, it landed fast, and with a tailwind, didn't get weight
on the wheels, and the runway was wet so the wheels didn't spin
up, but hydroplaned instead. Weight on wheels is needed for thrust
reversers to be enabled, and wheel spin is needed for brakes.

This accident, and many many similar ones, are pilot training issues
more then aircraft systems issues.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/