Old March 14th 05, 04:13 AM
Bill Daniels

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to scare people away. If they actually
know how to fly well, the transition will be easy.

However, it's rare these days for any student working on a PP-SEL rating to
get much basic airmanship training. There's just too much other stuff in
the power syllabus these days.

That's why the glider rating is such a great add-on for many power pilots.
They'll leave with a far better skillset. They'll also have a lot of fun
getting the rating.

Just set expectations realistically so they won't be disappointed.

Bill Daniels

"BTIZ" wrote in message
Hear Hear.. Agreed..
We go through phases.. people knocking on our door to get a glider

rating..
some we have to turn away because our weekend club operation and

instructor
work load is maxed out.. we have run a waiting list from time to time as
required.. about 1/2 of those are power pilots looking for something other
than droning along behind a motor tied to a GPS pointer and the auto

pilot.

BT

"Gregg Ballou" wrote in message
We bitch about declining numbers and then when a presumbly
competent
power pilot asks a transition question people add how
hard it is to fly
gliders. Give it a rest it is not that hard- Ok going
far and fast that takes
skill and time to learn but just flying gliders safely
is not hard nor is
staying up on a good day, and it is a glider certificate
after all and not a
measure of soaring skill so lets encourage this fellow
to go and get a
commercial add on (it is one less check ride and he
will be that much
closer to being some clubs CFI) then he can go learn
to soar on his own
time after he has the ticket in hand. I think peoples
egos get in the way
and we tell ourselves that we have some super skill
and you can't get
here without standing around a gliderport for five
years running wings
and listening to all of us superheroes.