Old November 11th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm antenna install

On Nov 11, 10:00*am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
"Sam Zimmerman" wrote in ...
Can someone describe the antenna installation issues with the PowerFlarm
brick? Does the brick contain the transponder and ADS-b antennas or are they
separate? If they are in the brick, does this dictate a need for a special
location for mounting the black box? If they are separate, do they need to
go outside the glider? SZ

Also, how far does the GPS antenna have to be seperated from other GPS antennas, such as a 302 antenna?

Wayne

What I've heard so far is that there are 3 antennas: GPS, FLARM,
and transponder/ADS-B (those are on the same frequency anyway).
I'm interested in the issues as well. My plane is all fiberglass
(ASW-19)
so it's just the metal parts that will affect the signals. Distance
from the
antennas to the unit is also an issue.

Somewhere there's a discussion of a program that analyzes FLARM
traces to determine how good your antenna placement is. They give
an example of a unit placed behind the spar that had difficulty seeing
traffic ahead. However, I don't have a whole lot of room ahead of the
panel for antennas, and I'm concerned about effects on my compass.

-- Matt