Old August 6th 12, 10:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Smith

Default ASW27 vs 27b?

At 00:35 06 August 2012, wrote:
On Sunday, August 5, 2012 8:20:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone comment on any differences in performance and handling

between
the early and later models of the 27? I've read the winglet was enlarged

on
the b--does that make much difference? thanks, Key

The principle difference is the B has a wet wing making it easier to get

up
to gross weight.All winglet variants are usable on both types.
Very few 27's are still being flown with the original small winglet. Mine
came off after the first flight.
No handling difference and any performance difference is due to condition
and preparation. They are geometrically identical.
UH

I have a 27a with the small winglets and regularly fly alongside 2 other
small winglet a's and several b's with the taller winglets. The geeks tell
me that the taller winglets offer better low speed thermal handling and
that the smaller winglets have a teensy bit less drag at higher speeds. To
me the only apparent difference is (as is often the case) the nut behind
the stick.

Martin N5