Old November 17th 20, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What To Expect For Florida Spring

On Monday, November 16, 2020 at 6:47:47 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/16/20 3:17 PM, wrote:
Just a bit of information about Florida weather, as to date we are about 26 inches ahead of normal rainfall for the year. Now this is a big problem when it comes to soaring during the spring. We really need to dry out quick to have some good spring soaring weather. If it dried out tomorrow and continued until March we might just have a chance . It better start blowing and stop raining or else you guys can be flying straight lines up and down hwy 27. Hope to meet some of you in the air, we should all do a trip around Lake O.

Hey Bob,

Would you mind building a pipeline to New Mexico? We could sure use
some of that rain! The dry lakes south of Moriarty are actually dry!

You may recall a few years back when a glider pilot from Texas (I know
him) landed his JS-1 on one of those dry lakes and sunk up to the belly
in salt mud. He made the soaring calendar that year...

--
Dan
5J

Yes I do remember that landing, actually it is so wet here that the alligators and pythons are being seen in the streets. Just yesterday a picture of a 12 foot alligator was in the news as it crossed a road at a gated community. It better start drying out soon or we will be very disappointed with spring weather. Back in the day when I lived in Miami there was a drought and the everglades were so dry that the swamp looked like a scorched tundra. E9 and myself saw cloud bases near 10K, wish we could get that again. Bob