Old August 30th 05, 11:38 PM
three-eight-hotel

17. Dan Luke Aug 30, 2:24 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.owning
From: "Dan Luke" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:24:48 -0500
Subject: 396 plus COM or GNS x30???
original | Report Abuse

2. Do I really plan to weave my way through serious T-Cells (not at
the
moment)

Depends on where you fly. If you aren't willing to weave your way
through serious T-Cells, you won't fly much down South for half the
year.

Agreed... I should have specified that I live in "severe clear"
Northern California.

Any instrument time I get is typically with a safety pilot, or would be
popping to VFR-on-top (which I have still yet to do). With a
single-engine airplane, I am hesitant to do real IFR, unless I have to
(so far, haven't had to). I would like to fly over the Sacramento
valley some time and get some real approaches, when the fog has rolled
in, but I've yet to do that also. I plan to make weekend trips to the
coast which will all but assure me of .1 hrs. of actual, on occaision.

My ultimate goal is get the commercial and CFI rating. I want to be as
proficient as I possibly can and confident that I can handle any IFR
situtations that come up. Proper planning should keep me out of
"un-intentional" IFR, but should something happen, I want to be
confident and proficient. The only way that's going to happen is
practice, practice, practice, and I would like to have my plane
properly equipped.

If I did live in the south or the mid-west, I'm sure I would be talking
an entirely different game. I am envious of the experience you guys
get, but not so much as I wish that weather on NorCal... ;-)

Best Regards,
Todd