Old February 14th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mad8

Default ground effect craft aka ekranoplan: ship or aircraft?

On Feb 14, 2:48 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"mad8" wrote in message

oups.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle

it's flying, but it doesn't seem like it's an aircraft in the
strictest sence... would something like this be equivalent to a
seaplane or more of a hovercraft?
opinions?

It is such a unique blend, that makes it perform as it does.

So, is it an airplane, or not? Some things make it appear as it is, and some
do not. I think that it depends on what you put as the most important
characteristic.

It gets lift from wings. Those wings will not support it, if it gets too
high above the water. It uses all of the normal flight controls, such as
ailerons, rudder and I think elevator, and some have flaps to get up before
they get going at cruise speed.

I personally think it is its own class; neither hovercraft or airplane.

By having its own class, as a ground effect vehicle, it violates no rules of
other classes, and everyone is happy.

Of course it could be argued that the Wright Brother's first powered heavier
than air craft was really not and airplane, but a ground effect vehicle.
True? Perhaps.

A stronger engine would make it fly out of ground effect. Perhaps all
ground effect vehicles would be airplanes with stronger engines.

No questions answered, but lots of new questions.
--
Jim in NC

mxsmaniac and other french speakers, here's another nice page (quite a
bit of info not in wiki)
http://membres.lycos.fr/dracken/Ekra...istorique.html
(i actually managed to get about 75% of it using what i remembered
from high school french)