Old August 11th 03, 12:17 PM
John Halliwell

In article , Iain Rae
writes
NB the RAF definitions of "low flying":

"Military fixed-wing aircraft (except Bulldogs and Fireflies) are
defined as low flying when operating within the UKLFS at less than 2,000
ft minimum separation distance (msd). In the case of helicopters,
Bulldogs and Fireflies, they are defined as low flying when operating at
less than 500 ft msd. 250 ft is the normal lower limit for low flying by
fixed-wing aircraft, although a very small amount of operational low
flying training for fast jet and Hercules transport aircraft is
permitted during the day at heights between 250 ft and 100 ft. Bulldog
and Firefly aircraft may be authorised to fly down to 50 ft msd while
helicopters can be permitted to fly as low as ground level."

Where does the 250ft limit cover geographically? I was on the end of
Blackpool south pier on Friday, two Jaguars were making very low passes
very close to the end of it (on the sea side). I couldn't estimate how
high they were, but it looked lower than 250ft to me (probably
misleading). I guess as the tide was in, they were over the sea so maybe
the limits are different?

--
John