Old January 11th 05, 06:06 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Jim Burns wrote:
snippage
: I'm stumped by a problem with a new (rebuilt) Prestolite starter. Bare with
: me while I go through the details.

: So we installed a rebuilt Prestolite. After we installed it, we cranked the
: engine several times and the starter sounded and acted great. This weekend

: So what's going on? Anybody ever have a limited voltage problem cause a
: bendix not to engage? Is this theory plausible? probable?

I had a similar problem this summer. You can probably google it. I had a worn
out bendix, and I ordered a new one (the last one in the US!) from Sacremento
Sky Ranch. The new one was no good, too, and exhibited the exact symptoms
that you have. I was able to make one usable bendix from the new one and
the worn-out one.

(The worn-out one had the bearing at the end of the flywheel drive gear cup
totally worn out and falling apart, and would hang up and not retract after
the engine started. The new one had the helical gear and pawls mis-
assembled, but the drive cup was A-OK, so putting the new drive cup on
the old helical gear assembly made everything work great.)
--
Aaron C. (N9376J)