Old August 25th 04, 10:45 PM
Bob Kaplow

In article , (B2431) writes:
I wonder if there has ever been a collision between an aircraft and a model
rocket.

Never. One of our members was a Navy captain and had access to a DOD study.
Using Mach 5 sounding rockets and radar slaved launchers, they fired a
battery of rounds at target drones. They initially thought they'd be
successful about 1 in 10. Afterwards they revised that to less than 1 in
1000000. And that's with radar and many Mach 5 rockets. We have neither, and
we don't try.

Now we've got the BATFE on our case. We've sued them for illegally changing
regulations, and won. They still are trying to ban our motors. THe
propellant is almost the same as the shuttle SRBs. You couldn't make it
explode if you tried.

Sure you could use a model rocket, or for that matter a Ryder truck or 767
or USPS package to deliver a dangerous payload to some random location. But
it's not the BATFEs job to regulate delivery devices. If they have their way
it may impact general aviation as well. The same type of rocket motor is
used to deploy the parachutes used for spin recovery etc. Then there are the
air bags in cars...

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle:
http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org