Old January 4th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig601XLBuilder

Default Thinking about buying a Zodiac XLi

Jay Maynard wrote:
After years away from it, I'm in a position where I can think about getting
an airplane. I want to be able to travel with it, not just fly around the
patch. I'm a PP-ASEL with about 170 hours in 172/Warrior/Tiger-class
aircraft. I'd love to build, but my work has me away from home constantly,
so there's no way I could commit the needed time. I also have medical issues
that will require a special issuance medical; I've been thinking about
getting that for the past 6 months, but haven't been able to do anything
about it. I figure I'll need 5-10 hours of dual to get back in the groove.

All of that has me convinced I should buy an SLSA that will serve as an IFR
platform when I do deal with the medical. There are lots of SLSAs out there,
but only a precious few that can be flown legally IFR (at least I think
that's the case), with TSOd instruments and certificated engines, not to
mention capable avionics.

In addition, I think I want a metal airframe. Composites are great, but what
happens when it collects hangar damage? Since it's a factory aircraft, I
have to have an A&P do the repair, and how many A&Ps do composite repairs?
Especially since I live in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking
(Fairmont, MN).

Finally, and for many of the same reasons, I's prefer an American-built
aircraft. The imports look good, but how many mechanics in rural Minnesota
can work on them? How long does it take to get parts that, for an American
aircraft, could be bought and shipped overnight from any of a dozen
suppliers?

So far, I've only seen one SLSA that fits this profile: the AMD Zodiac XLi.
There are a bunch of them out there that have been homebuilt; I don't know
how many completed ones AMD has sold. I like everything I've read so far. Of
course, that's just reading, not flying. I'm planning to visit the AMD
factory next week, look the place over, then look closely at the aircraft
and take a demo flight. What should I look for? Ask about? Try during the
demo?

What other aircraft should I look at? Am I full of prunes in my thinking
somewhere?

I'm building an XL and have flown in three different 601s including the
Zenith demonstrator. It is a fun plane to fly with enough speed to be
used X-C travel. You don't mention where you are but there are several
601XLs being used as trainers at various FBOs. Look into that for your
dual and that should help you make your decision.

As far as the medical goes remember if you try for an fail to get your
special issuance you are grounded as far as LSA is concerned. So, if all
of your flying is going to fall under the LSA rules you might want to
think about not taking the chance of screwing that up. As a PPL sans
medical the only privileges you will be giving up are night and higher
than 10K feet.