Old December 23rd 10, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default A Little Technology Humor (SPOT)

On Dec 22, 4:35*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
On Dec 22, 10:52*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Dec 22, 7:50*am, Grider Pirate wrote:

No, actually, it happens as I approach the speed of light.

While looking aft.

Matt may be confused or just maybe he is showing off. A relativistic
glider pilot facing forward (and looking around a bit)will observe a
combination of red and blue shift.

Classical Doppler effect is of course inline to the direction of
relative motion. So blue shift going towards and redshift going away.
But relativistic Doppler will redshift objects even those with no line
of motion towards/away form you. The overall red shift/blue shift
shapes into a cone with things to the side of you red shifted as well.
There is a nice 2D animation of the relativistic Doppler cone athttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect.

BTW I hear the new ClearNav vario includes corrections for
relativistic Doppler effects (but no word yet if it will actually talk
to any PDA based soaring software).

Darryl

Darryl,

Sadly, I am just confused. *It was the glider in front of me shifting
blue, not the sky. *So he must have been pulling away from me, yes?

Yes. But I've never observed this when flying. Those fast moving
gliders just tend to disappear. One second I'm in a thermal with Ray
Gimmey then... poof gone. I suspect he is using wormholes.

Darryl

Darryl