Old May 23rd 05, 11:01 PM
abripl

...Experimental should be for experimenters...

Thats somewhat of a misnomer. We often use the term "homebuilt" or
"amateur built" for an aircraft that is essentially cheaper for the
performance and not necessarily building it as an experiment or
pioneering in the field. I built a homebuilt in order to have an IFR
aircraft that cruises about 200mph and seats 4 (and incidentally uses
about 5gal/hr at 120knots) for a fraction of the price of a certified.
Yes. I had fun... but now I enjoy more flying it rather than
"experimenting" with it.

The biggest advantage of plans built is cost. Although too much
"experimenting" even with a plans built can erase that advantage.
The biggest disadvantage is time and the chance that the original
builder will abandon the project - about 90% of the time.

.....A simple plans built airplane can be built in 2000 hours....

Yeah ... too simple....
A comparative plans built aircraft would take me twice as long as my
kit unit did. Most similar plans built units I have noted, took 10-15
years. There isn't a great chance I could finish one to enjoy flying
one at my age.
SQ2000 canard: http://www.abri.com/sq2000