Old December 15th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

Default Interested in soaring safety? Read this

On Dec 14, 3:52 pm, jeplane wrote:
Well, I'll be the one who didn't get it.
This article is about intensive care, and how in modern times,
medicine does wonders.
But what does that has to do with soaring?

I think the parallels for 1,2,3 (below) between hospitals and gliding
are obvious.

1) experienced, highly skilled, and highly self confident people
2) those people doing similar (but slightly different) tasks over and
over again
3) unnecessarily high Bad Things happening

After...
a) introducing *multiple* checklists, one for each task
b) providing an atmosphere in which *everybody* *checked* the highly
skilled people followed the checklists every time
c) actually following the checklists
....Bad Things almost completely stopped happening

Overall, it was a well written article, unfortunately spread over 8
pages