Old December 26th 04, 05:32 AM
Mark James Boyd

Burt Compton wrote:

In addition, I know that some clubs are sponsoring their members to upgrade to
Commercial and CFIG by providing financial assistance. One club reimburses a
candidate up to $500. for each rating. (I know because they have visited me in
Marfa, TX.) That's a darn good investment for the club's future!

I've told a few members with some X-C and some enthusiasm that if the CFI
is a big bite, then becoming an Advanced Ground Instructor is a smaller bite
first. Just a couple of written tests (no practical test).

I think it's a great way to gently ease into the instructor community.
I encourage all of my commercial students to do AGI with the commercial,
because they so often end up as CFIs anyway later.

So maybe reimburse for half of the AGI tests (two at approx $80 each).
Once they're involved a little in instructing, some will really
like it and move on to CFI with a bit more experience...

Cheers!

P.S. January is historically a big influx of students (power and
glider). I dunno why (tax refunds ? but it seems good to be prepared
with a few extra instructors around, even if only for ground...
--

Mark J. Boyd