Old October 7th 03, 07:08 PM
Bob Kuykendall

I can't answer your specific question regarding the combo machine. But
I can contribute some small bits of info:

* Be sure to check Enco (http://www.use-enco.com) for similar machines
at similar prices. I've found that their metalworking machines are
about the same as Harbor Fright, but the customer service is a little
better.

* In 1999 I bought the standard Enco 48" pan brake and 52" foot shear.
It is great having them. Just about every time I go to the shop I end
up needing to slice out or bend some chunk of metal or other. Even
though I'm working more and more with composites, it's amazing how how
handy it can be to whip up some quick metal parts. I think that if you
have them, you'll find ways to keep them in use.

* The big thing for me is that they are both fairly large machines,
and take up a handful of room. So I'd suggest you check their
footprints against your workspace and make sure you really have room
for them. That consideration alone is sort of a vote in favor of the
combo machine.

* Most standard pan brakes are relatively useless with 2024-T3 over
about .020" thick because the have no provision for getting a good
inside radius. I solved that problem by having the local heavy-duty
metal shop (they specialize in Tempest chassis and prison furniture)
make me three nesting radius shoes out of 1/16" steel on their
zillion-ton press brake. The inside one has a radius of about 1/16",
the middle one 1/8", and the outer one is about 3/16". I have to
fiddle around with the setback when I change them, but I get nice
bends with no cracks.

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.