Old November 17th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Progressive lenses OK for pilots?

skyfish wrote:
I want to get current on my VFR Single Engine Land license but my eyes
are not what they used to be. The strength I need for good far vision
makes it so I can't read charts in the cockpit without taking them off.

I have exactly the same problem. I have progressive bifocals that
pretty much just take out the distance correction in the near vision
part.

The only problem I have is that the first pair I got had the break point
where the near/far transition occurs in an inconvenient place. You
should find an optician with a clue to set this appropriately.

I've been flying with them for a year now without problems.
My old single vision I'd have to lift up to look at the chart
(and as a matter of fact, I'd put them up on my head when in
IMC (nothing to look at in the distance anyway).