Old November 9th 14, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default OLC CAMP AT MORIARTY, NM, JUNE 1 TO JUNE 15, 2014

I would like to clarify that, at Moriarty, there is much less tendency
for all the gliders to follow the same routes since we don't have a
stunningly good ridge as at Nephi.

We have great soaring in all directions so the concentrations of gliders
are not as great. At Moriarty you can go south to Alamogordo or El
Paso, southeast to Roswell or Hobbs, east to Amarillo and beyond,
northeast to Dalhart, north-north east up the east side of the Rockies,
north up the middle of the Rockies. A bit west of north and you can go
up the west side of the Sangre de Christos and continue to Leadville.
Northwest will take you over the Jemez mountains to Abiquiu and on to
Chama, Pagosa Springs and further. You can head out west to the Mt.
Taylor volcano north of Grants and on to Gallup or southwest past
Socorro and down into the Gila mountains.

There are too many directions to name and they can be flown straight out
or out and return. If there conflicts between gliders it will be
because too many people want to fly as a group rather than exploring
what's available here.

Dan Marotta

On 11/9/2014 2:17 PM, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 11:33:18 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 3:31:06 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Great to see other places taking notes from Nephi. I think OLC camps are a fantastic idea and I can't imagine better place than Moriarty and Nephi (Minden should consider this as well).
I hope flam will be encouraged and that all participants will fly with PowerFlarms assuming large number. Personally I would only consider this if all gliders are flarm equipped. After sharing the sky with 65 flarm equipped gliders at Nephi last year I would not do this without It.

Ramy

Ramy-

Flarm is great but I wouldn't let some ships sans-Flarm keep you away. Additionally, Xponders might be even more useful at 0e0.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba

Transponder is most useful IF you plan to spend a lot of time hanging around near the ABQ approach/departure corridors AND if less than around 10 gliders attend. If you have more than 10 gliders, Flarm is the better bet. If you have several dozen gliders participating pilots should consider Flarm essential - especially if there are cu. Cu are magnets for glider traffic and at 17,999' the TAS at cruise makes fast converging collision threats nearly impossible to pick up in time. Ask pilots who've flown the Nephi event. They learned a lot about what happens in real-world conditions at XC events with lots of gliders.

You can always equip with both of course.

9B