Old January 10th 04, 04:40 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't already been mentioned, but - with the
assumption that you're carrying the radio as a backup to your aircraft's
radios - may I make the suggestion that you buy an A5 alkaline pack and
keep that in your flight bag. Alkalines have a MUCH longer shelf life
than any rechargeable battery, and so even if your Ni-Mh battery has
"fallen down" you should still have enough juice in the Alkaline pack to
talk to ATC in a 7600 situation.

Dave Blevins
(who has an A22 and intends to follow his own advice real soon now)

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:48:27 GMT, "Harry Gordon"
wrote:

As an update, you may recall I had to send my A5 back to Icom for repair
(the battery would not recharge). They have since returned it to me and said
the only thing wrong was the battery was bad and they gave me a new one. The
new battery was charged when it came back. I have since discharged the
battery and recharged it, and it seems to be working fine.

I want to get a battery tester to make sure that I don't overcharge the new
battery as well as making sure the battery is fully charged before I go
flying. The battery type is a 9.6V 760mAh Ni-MH battery pack. I am having a
hard time finding a tester. For those of you with this type of battery, what
type of tester do you have and where did you get it? Any help would be
appreciated. Incidentally, I know zip about electronics so making one is out
of the question :-).

Thanks.

Harry
PP-ASEL